All You Need to Know About Lagos State Emergency Management Agency
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) was established vide LASEMA Law 16 of 2008 for emergency and disaster management in the State in pursuance to decree 12 of 1999 as amended by Act №50 of 1999 which established the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).
The Agency is responsible for the overall co-ordination of emergency management in Lagos State, working closely with all its Stakeholders. LASEMA came into existence in February 2007, the legal framework establishing LASEMA was signed into Law on July 22nd, 2008 by His Excellency, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN)
LASEMA is statutorily charged to provide adequate and prompt response as well as sustaining intervention in all forms of emergency/disaster situations in the State within the territorial boundary called “Lagos”.
LASEMA performs this onerous task through Emergency/Disaster prevention preparedness, mitigation, recovery and relief.
Responsibilities of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency
1) Be the umbrella body to co-ordinate the activities of relevant agencies in prevention and management of disasters in the State.
2) For the development of loss prevention programmes and procures necessary technology to mitigate identified emergency situation.
3) Prompt and adequate response as well as sustained interventions in any form of emergency or disaster in the State.
- Advertisements -
4) Co-ordinates activities of stakeholders and NGOs who jointly carry out strategies for emergency/disaster management in the State.
5) Provides relief materials/financial assistance to victims of various disasters in the State.
6) Respond promptly to any emergency at hand, which includes but is not limited to the following;
i. Fire fighting (co-ordinate with fire services).